Monday, July 16, 2012

What Kind of Dad Will I Be?

Here's an article I wrote over at Hubpages:

My life is going to change in a big way. Not too long ago, after coming home from playing basketball, my wife casually looked at me and told me she was pregnant. Disbelief turned into confusion, and then from confusion to joy, but a hint of fear sat in.

Finding out that my wife is having a baby is both exciting and scary. I’ve always thought I would be ready to welcome a kid into this world armed with life lessons and a vast knowledge worldly advice to offer, I would be a human fortune cookie of sorts. But the older I get, I've realized how little I know. Am I ready? Are we ever ready? I have so many questions!

I want to be prepared for what’s coming, but I have no idea what’s coming (besides a baby of course). I've become accustomed to my free time over the years, from what I gather that will be a thing of the past.

My outlook on life has suddenly changed, and life has a whole new meaning. I've never given a second thought about things such as a will or life insurance. It may be time to get my act together.

I will turn to my dad for advice. He was a great dad and is still a role model for me today. Those are huge shoes to fill; he always knew just the right thing to say. (He also has enormous feet)

I will look to my mother as well. We can still learn a lot from our parents. I've never understood new parents that don't trust their parents with their child. They raised you!! Or is that why you don't trust them?

As I prepare for this major life altering event, I will ask my friends for pointers. Most of my friends have at least one kid by now and some have teenagers. I’m going to be an old dad; I had better start taking care of myself.

I've never been good with babies. Will it come naturally? Will I just pick him/her up and know exactly what to do? Doubtful, but I’m more than willing to learn, I’m going into this wide eyed but eager. I've never changed a diaper in my life, but I have a feeling I’m in for many firsts along the way.

As crazy as the world seems today, how will I prepare a baby for what’s out there? These are chaotic times; I have to prepare for the worst. And have you seen these college tuitions lately? Better work on that jump shot….can you say scholarship?

I will have to get used to saying no. I’m sort of a push over. The dogs can attest to this, they’ve never been grounded.
What if we have twins? I recently raised this question and found myself in serious trouble for this line of thinking. (Luckily the ultasound showed just one baby)

I do look forward to this major change in my life, as hard as it may be at times. My wife is an amazing woman, full of kindness and patience; she’s going to need it, being the only adult in the house.

Ultimately, the answer to my question lies with me. Only I can be a good dad to my child, willing to make the necessary sacrifices and commitments. To always be there for my son or daughter will be the most important job of my life, and one that I must take seriously. I'm sure I will make mistakes along the way, but it won't be from a lack of effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment