Friday, August 10, 2012

Clowning Around

Obviously becoming a parent is a life changing event.  For me it will be especially life changing as I’ve always been treated like a kid….even by kids…especially by kids.  Usually when I spend time with a friend or family member’s kid, I get asked questions such as What time do you have to go to bed?  Or Are you coming over to play tomorrow?   Maybe I should have been a clown.
Perhaps this is my doing; maybe I get into kid’s toys just a bit too much.  Regardless, I’m seen as a really big kid….sort of like Elf, just without the costume.  This goes on until the kids reach ten or eleven when the kids get too cool for adults; at that point I’m discarded just like the toys I love so dearly.
Now with my own kid on the way, I will have to walk a fine line as far as playtime and bedtime.  I want to enjoy my time with my kid, and I definitely don't want to be that stiff dad who's child has never seen him laugh.  Hopefully I can find a nice spot in the middle. 
It still seems strange to think that soon I will be a dad, but as today is day 100 of the pregnancy it seems that it’s going to happen with or without me.  I still have a little bit of time to get used to it, but as the weeks zoom by I’m trying to prepare for my title.  I’ll have to work on my dad face, act like an adult, and stop clowning around.  I’ve still got some time to work on that last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment