Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Male Pregnancy Hormones - What's Going On?

HormonesI’ve been reading about the changes men undergo during pregnancy.  Yes, men.  Although I fully understand that we get the better end of the pregnancy deal, it seems that we do in fact, go through some changes as well.  As the female hormones run rampant in my wife's body,  I was surprised to find that--in an effort to prepare for my role as nurturer--my levels of testosterone, competitiveness, and aggression will continue to decrease by roughly a third once the baby is here.  
Maybe this explains why I’ve hardly watched any football in the past month.  Or the fact that I was really excited about watching Christmas movies last weekend.  I'm not saying that I've become feminine, but this morning I caught myself performing “jazz hands” while getting dressed for work. 
It all makes sense now, last week when I found myself thinking that my truck was impractical, or the other day when I thought I could really go for a salad.  Words such as cute or adorable, have replaced grunts or mumbling.  What is happening to me? 
I’m even planning artsy craftsy projects.  Over the weekend, I bought a wooden plane for the baby's room that I plan on painting.  What’s wrong with that you ask?  An expectant father planning a project for his son. Well nothing, until...

“You’re going to paint?”  My wife asked, following up with, “You’re going to spend more than two minutes on something and pay attention to detail?”
“Yep, I’m going to paint the wings red, and maybe put some stripes on them.  Not sure about the propeller…”  I caught myself coordinating the color scheme of the plane with the curtains.  Dear God, how did this happen?
I’m very comfortable with myself, but some of these feelings are very new to me.  I’m excited, very excited, and now if it wasn’t enough to have a pregnant woman in the house, in a way we have two.
A Princess For Christmas movieI may not be showing, and I'm pretty sure I'm not carrying a baby, but how am I supposed to interact with other males without blurting out which exfoliating cream was on sale last weekend?  I'm not far away from the following scenario:
“Hey Pete did you see the game Saturday?”
“No, but you know what I did catch?  The commercial-free airing of A Princess For Christmas on The Hallmark Channel.  It was adorable!”

Okay, hopefully it never gets that bad, but I did watch Home Alone instead of football on a Saturday night, (My team had just lost to its rival and is out of the post-season anyway), while eating ice cream on the couch with my wife.  We were only a cucumber facial mask away from a pajama party sleepover...
Oh well,  I suppose I’ve never been the manliest of men anyway.  I don’t hunt, I don’t watch UFC, and I have a blog; so maybe the hormones didn’t need much help to begin with.

4 comments:

  1. So cute, Pete! (I'm a woman, so "cute" has always been a part of my vocabulary.) You know, I've always heard that pregnant women can be frustrating and hard to relate to; it sounds like you're progressing and dealing with pregnancy exactly the way you should. I'm sure you'll always love football, but sometimes it's nice to appreciate the new, important things and people in your life (like Christmas movies and your son)! :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cari, I'm hoping my little guy will help me "man up" a bit! But either way his clothes are cute, there's no getting around it!

      Delete
  2. I loved this Pete and you can shake hands with my husband who spent all weekend painting our girls' room pink after our older daughter requested a pink bedroom. Trust me, you will do things you never imagined before, just wait!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine, that's awesome about the painting, way to go dad!

      Delete