Monday, October 15, 2012

Spent

My wife likes to be productive on weekends, and now that she's nesting she's been getting her money's worth.  Friday evening to Sunday night was jam packed with a little bit of everything, dinner with friends, taking down some trees in the backyard, chopping wood, cutting grass, raking leaves, hanging a ceiling fan, shopping, and even squeezing in a cheesy eighties movie on Netflix.  We ended the exhausting weekend Sunday evening with steaks on the grill. (Because I was told Simon needed steak.)

The ceiling fan installation was interesting to say the least.  Taking nearly three hours to complete, things got rather chippy between my wife and I during this team building exercise.  As the third trimester approaches, I'm not sure how I'm going to get her to stay off of her swollen feet.

On Sunday I fell victim to a sneak attack shopping excursion that somehow I didn't see coming. What started as a “quick trip" out just “to grab a few things” turned into me standing in a sea of maternity stretch pants while the theme from The Titanic played loudly overhead.

While my wife was in the fitting room, I began to wander--as I sometimes do, stumbling into the baby section and finding this moose onesie for Simon.

As I stood there with a goofy grin on my face, staring at the little outfit, I heard my name being called from the fitting rooms.  I snapped out of my daze and returned, finding my wife barefoot and pregnant in the store wearing some kind of grill cover brown corduroy stretch pants.

“Well?”  she asked.
 
“How do they feel?”  I replied, staying neutral.

“Good”

“How much are they?”   I asked, as this is how most of my clothing decisions are made.
 
“$50” She said, without looking up to see my overly dramatic expression.

“I don't know, will they even fit in a month?”  This is the only time I will ever in my life be able to get away with this question.

“Well they're stretchy, plus my butt shouldn't get any bigger.”

“Well, it's up to you.”  I mustered, swallowing hard under extreme caution.

Thankfully she decided against the cords, finding two other pairs of stretch pants  that made her happy, they were also on sale which made me happy.  And I did find that outfit for Simon, so that made it all worthwile.  As for these busy weekends, I'm thinking about declaring Sundays Project Free Day, I'll keep you posted on how that turns out...

No comments:

Post a Comment