Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Year Three of She Still Hasn't Dumped Me...

It’s nice to know you have someone in your corner, someone who sees you at your worst, like that bathroom mirror just before you notice it and strike a pose out of habit. You know the pose, sucking in, chin jutted out, making that ducky face. Just me? Okay then.  But through it all, I have my wife—even if she is making fun of me most of the time.

Today marks year three in our marriage. And things are better than I could have imagined. First of all, we’re still together, no small feat because I’m not easy to live with. I’m neurotic, childish, self-conscious, not to mention impulsive. And then I have my faults…

But despite it all our marriage is humming along. Today won’t be the most romantic evening in the world, as I still leave dishes in the sink and she still leaves hair in the drain. But hey, it's real life, not a romantic comedy. What we do have is a healthy son, our own health, and a home to live in, and all of that is pretty romantic in itself. I can add the comedy, intentional or not. 

My wife and I don’t do big, extravagant gifts, but we do us pretty well. So here’s to years four, and five, and fifty. Hopefully the 45 in between will run smoothly as well...

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to both of you. It's not easy being green. Or a husband/dad, wife/mom.

    ReplyDelete