Sunday, July 7, 2013

Mush...


This may get a little mushy.  Over the weekend being a dad hit me hard, in a good way.  I’m not sure what it was, probably the fact that I won’t see my little guy for a week.  Tomorrow he’s heading to upstate New York to visit his northern grandparents.  Which is great, and it will be nice to have some freedom but at this stage in his life weeks are like months.  He better not come home with teeth.  (Actually, after all of the teething stories I’ve heard maybe he should).

blue eyed baby
Saturday was daddy time, as my wife finally got to cash in that full body massage gift certificate I gave to her back at Christmas.  After that she hit the pool while Simon and I passed the time.  Let's see, we read a book, jumped on the bed (the doctor said no more monkeys), and basically ran amuck in the house for four hours.  We laughed, we giggled, and then we crushed a bottle and crashed.  

I appreciated every smile I earned just a little bit more, and I found myself staring into those big blue eyes with wonder. I peeked in on him during naptime, watching his little back rise and fall with each small breath.  How did I ever get so lucky?

I will try my best not to fail him.  Ever.  No matter what the coming years bring I will lead him through it.  This job is harder than I expected, and much, much better than I expected, because after everything I prepared for I didn’t prepare for this.  


No comments:

Post a Comment