Sunday, June 2, 2013

Outings...


We’re starting to get out of the house these days.  I’m feeling more and more comfortable toting our son around town and he enjoys getting out and into the fresh air.  On Saturday morning we decided to head downtown to the Community Market for some fresh produce, morning music, and well, some time together outside of the house. Gone are the days when the two of us could rush out on a whim, today our outings involve precise planning and effort.  

Found the hat!
Yes, we can no longer just stuff our feet into our shoes and walk out the door, our destination unknown. We have to work around feedings and naps.  And perhaps most of all we have to prepare, Where’s his sunscreen, have you seen it?  It’s beside his hat…of course…. where’s his hat?  A half an hour later the hat was found (sunscreen still MIA), and we were then confronted with first world decisions such as: Stroller or Baby Bjorn?  Hmm, which goes with this outfit?  We went with the Bjorn, (wrong move), and I carried my son out to the car and waited...

Admittedly, I’m often one to hyperbolize, or overreact, or rush, or panic, or--okay you get it, but as I sat in the car, with my son strapped in and ready to go, I wondered what in the world was she could be doing in there?

Without thinking, I honked the horn. I hate when people do that, and I don't know why I did it, but I had grown uncharacteristically impatient.  I then used the following moments to have a quick discussion with the little guy about women.

Son, what your father did right there was just plain stupid.  Never honk the horn at a woman, or whistle, or try to win an argument for that matter because they have incredible memories...never mind. I shouldn’t have done it, your father's just not that bright you see.  Do as I say not as I do. 

At last the door opened and my wife appeared, clutching a bottle of water and a tote bag filled with enough supplies to hold us for a few days should I drive into a sinkhole.  I studied her face.  She didn't appear to be upset.  Maybe she hadn’t heard the honking during her frantic search for the sunscreen.  In the clear,  I reached back for a quick high five from my son....oh, okay we're not quite ready for that yet.

With our supplies in tow, we buckled up and backed out of the driveway, ready to take on the day.  I looked over at my wife, watching her mentally check down the list as we drove off for another family outing adventure....only to return an hour later.


2 comments:

  1. lol ...oh the joys your giving me to look forward to Pete! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help Stevie, it won't be long now!

      Delete