Tuesday, June 18, 2013

An Ode To A Dog...

*Our dog Mason gets all the attention around here, so I wrote a little something about my buddy Bruce..

I have this dog Bruce.  Got him for free when he was a puppy. The lady at the pound said he was around three months old at the time.  She said that he was her favorite.  She loved his eyes, she told me to make sure I brought him back to her if I decided not to keep him.  It’s been almost seven years now, and although his breath sometimes smells like fish, I think I’m going to hang on to him.

a great dogHe’s slower than he used to be, tires easier.  He has trouble with his hips. The vet recommended glucose pills, the ones from the old people commercial.  He likes them with a coat of peanut butter. 

He naps more, snores a little louder and has picked up a few pounds along the way. But the eyes are the same, honest.  

He was jealous at first. When I met a girl.  She had a dog and they became best friends.  The girl moved in.  Everyone was happy.  Then the dog got sick and Bruce lost a friend.  He moped around the house, until we got a new dog.  The new dog is a crazy dog. Sometimes I think Bruce wishes he could take back the moping.

And now there’s a baby.  There’s a baby, a dog, a cat, and Bruce.  The house is hectic.  Everyone’s time has been cut and managed. I hold the baby and Bruce watches.  So much has changed in the past seven years.

But late in the night or early in the morning, I stumble upon him and he looks up to me with those wide copper eyes. Eyes that, even though he tried to bite the mailman or got mud on grandma’s dress, plead innocence.  He begs forgiveness and begs me to love him.  And I do. How could I not?


 

1 comment: