Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Shots


baby shots by Pete Fanning
Dad's Rendition

The poor little guy got five shots yesterday and I wasn't even there. I hope that doesn't make me a bad father. To be fair, I think it's for the better, my wife says it’s horrible, that he screams and cries and it’s a big ordeal. 

I debated stopping by to hold his little hand, but in the end I think it only would have made matters worse for everyone involved.  Once the nurse came in with the needle I'm not sure how I would react, all of the screaming and crying...and then of course he would start screaming and crying....it would be a scene.

My wife said he took a long snooze when they got home, and by the time I arrived after work he had regained appetite.  I looked down at his chubby little legs, dotted with little red prick marks.  Talk about a rough day.  He was in a good mood though, and I relished my role of good parent (not fair, I know), picking him up as he lay on my shoulder exhausted. 

Overall it was much better than the first round of shots, when he slept like a zombie for the whole day.  His head felt a bit warm early this morning, but he was talking and laughing when I left for work so that makes me feel better. 

I've got a long road ahead, but so far the shots are the worst part of parenthood, and I haven’t even been yet. We'll try to steer clear of hospitals...

4 comments:

  1. So far I've heard the same description from parents watching or even hearing of their babies getting their first shots. Sounds like he is a little trooper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing that would help me when my small son would get shots was to think about all of the horrible diseases he would NOT be getting! When my son was still a baby and had gotten shots, we would get him settled down and back in the car. We'd drive along for a while in silence and then he would start crying again. I think he would forget for a moment and then he would remember the whole awful thing. Ahhh, parenting...
    Justin Knight- Writing Pad Dad
    Writing Pad Dad Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is a trooper for sure Stevie, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice JUstin, that's a great way of looking at it...thanks!

    ReplyDelete