Friday, September 28, 2012

Work To Do...

As I’ve been focusing on the pregnancy for most of these postings, I know this is only the beginning of a long journey.  I was reminded of this yesterday when my wife--a second grade school teacher--came home from school.  In my eyes, a second grade class room is filled with innocent, naive, eager to learn, bright young faces. And yesterday I was reminded just how off base I am.
It seems that one child in the classroom was less than thrilled of what was asked of him and voiced his displeasure by calling her, his teacher, a “Punk Ass.”  As she told me the story, she seemed unaffected by the behavior, as if it would take much more than this to shock her.  Sure, the kid was punished, but as I was picking my jaw up off of the floor, I suddenly realized I was the naïve one.
I also realized the importance of our job as parents.  As I can’t control what other children will do or say, I can only hope to instill some sort of value system in our son.  I’m not asking for much, I know better to think that our kid will live in some Leave It To Beaver, aww shucks type bubble where all is good in the world.  But Punk Ass? I think we can set the bar a little higher than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment