Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Friendly Advice...

Get used to it...
As one of my coworkers was heating up his lunch today--as he always does when everyone else goes out to lunch--I asked him about his kids.  With two boys of his own, at 8 and 11, he has more than his hands full.   I told him my big news and he quickly congratulated me.   As he started to laugh at my naivety, he was more than willing to offer some advice.
Your time will cease to exist.  You will eat, sleep little, and take care of the crying baby.  He explained that he and his wife worked in shifts, so the other could sleep. 
Eating out is a thing of the past.  With childcare, diapers, clothes, and insurance, getting used to leftovers is a necessity.  At home, he explained he and his wife had eaten out maybe once in the past year, I may have openly cringed.
Getting to work on time is a miracle. – At least when you have to get the kids to school on time.

Diapers are expensive - He made sure I understood this.  Diapers are expensive.  Got it  He also let me know that I would get used to changing diapers, it becomes second nature....you don't really have a choice is how he put it.
Our talk was brief, I started to sense that work was his escape from kids and home so I decided to changed the topic to our usual subject, sports.  He seemed happy to change gears, as the tired and weary look on his face perked up at the mentioning of football and away from what must be his chaotic home life. 

I’m thankful for his advice and at the same time confused as ever.  Oh well, I’ll learn soon enough. Everyone has their own way of doing things; I’m just trying to take it all in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment