Friday, March 14, 2014

Flash Fiction Challenge...

Here's my entry for the Flash Fiction Challenge over at Carrot Range. The rules are simple: In 99 words (no more, no less) write about a character from any perspective who has to part with a prize possession.

Mine was easy, because it's true...

Any other day a ride to the dump would have made my week. The mountains of treasures, stacked far and wide over the rolling hills. Sure, the smell could get thick, nearly visible during those muggy days of summer, but today my nose was too stuffy to smell anything. I wiped my face with the back of my hand, still unable to look back at my old friend, sitting on garbage bags in the bed of the truck. Dad put a gentle hand on my shoulder, his eyes soft.

“Son, I’ll get you another big wheel, this one’s kaput.”

1 comment:

  1. That's interesting told from a child's point of view. How differently adults and children view their prize possessions.

    ReplyDelete