Wednesday, July 1, 2015

It's Go Time...

Ahh summer....When the days are long and everything slides to a leisurely pace ....Enjoy the pool or enjoy the shade...Just grab a drink, kick back and relax. It's the only way to beat the heat...

Or destroy the bathroom. All the way down to the studs. That's right, pick up that sledgehammer and eat some plaster and/or asbestos.

Our house was built in the 1950’s. And from what I've discovered it was built to weather any major war or class five hurricane. I’m not kidding, the place is a fortress. Just like it's not exaggerating when I say that there is enough plaster and drywall and concrete in our modest bathroom to pave the moon. Twice.

For years it seemed the whole bathroom remodel was something to be done….just later. You know, like, Oh sure when we do the bathroom, and kitchen, and install our zero gravity room. You know, that kind of thing. Whenever I thought about it, it was more, fuzzy-around-the-edges-still-in-the-infancy-stages-of-my-mind. And yes, I tend to think of things in cartoon vision. What, that's not normal?

But my wife is scary sneaky. And somehow when I wasn’t paying attention, this renovation project got moving. We bought a sink and stored it in the basement. I still had time. I chipped away at some tile. Then we bought a shower. Then I took the old sink out. Then there was a dumpster in the driveway. Suddenly, our cute little tadpole of an idea morphed into a big old ugly toad.

Now I live in a construction zone.

Which wouldn’t be so bad. But then I remembered that there’s a highly active toddler running around our house.

He likes tools.

He loves vacuums.

He absolutely adores a mess.

So that leaves us here. We don’t have walls but we have a lamp on the studs and we still have the big old pink tub. I have most of the walls gutted. The main problem is trying to time everything.

See, while I get to play Mr. Construction Worker—which comes with a pretty good chance at major injury—my wife and child are taking their yearly sojourn up north. And that’s when the tile guy and the plumber come in. And that’s when I start taking showers with the hose in the backyard. This ought to be good.

I’ll keep you posted.



3 comments:

  1. Ugh. I deal with something along these lines every year and it seems the summer is the perfect time to ruin. I feel like there's always something to fix and the summer gets eaten up while you're surrounded by nails and rotting wood and sandpaper... Hope this gets finished soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Pete, sounds like my life. Well until I took out the wrong wall that is. After that I wasn't trusted on my own. Best of luck. I'm sure you're far more competent than I was

    ReplyDelete