Saturday, July 12, 2014

Day....Whatever....

I’m sitting down after a spate of activity that was as unlikely as my very productive hangover. Yeah, it’s Day, five, or is it six. Hell I don’t know, it’s been too long since I’ve seen my family, and last night I went to happy hour....at a bar...with friends.  All kinds of unlikeliness going on around here lately.

Yeah, so those beers last night? About that. I woke up with a painful reminder why I don’t go to happy hours or bars anymore.
I slept in, coming to at a very slacker-like 8:47 on a Saturday morning. A few aching blinks, then I crawled out of bed at a time that under normal circumstances I'd first start thinking about lunch. I plod to the kitchen for coffee, the dogs are tapping their paws and waiting on their walk.
I nibble on toast, sipping coffee, turning on the television to find a documentary on the organ black market, thinking, Why would there be a black market for an instrument? Oh wait. Perfect, I need a liver.
Shaking the fog, I get the dogs outside where the fresh morning air works its magic. The sluggish start to my morning begins to fade and I feel less and less like a wad of chewed gum, which is good because I've got a lot to do. With three days to go, I need to get cracking on my projects.
Back home, I knock back two Ibuprofen and then cut the grass. Then it really was time for lunch.  And that’s when this happened:
 
 
 
You see my wife buys those Morningstar fake burgers, which, while I can dress them up and get them down okay, sometimes a guy just wants a burger. And being untethered and left free to make impulse decisions...well the results are quite disastrous. And oh so tasty...
 
I take a moment to let the rock in my stomach to digest, then it’s on to the sun room. I get the floor painted. With all the tiles and nails up, I ran into a few problems when I tried to paint the other night, attempting to use an oil based porch paint but the room was just too enclosed. I fought through it, at least until I started seeing the little green men. But now with my trusty water based paint that will hopefully rinse out of my hair (don't ask), I think I'm going to be okay.

*On a side note, if you've noticed that this blog has gone to crap with nonsensical ramblings since my wife's been gone then all I can tell you is that they'll be home soon...

Alright, moving along. My hangover is long gone and I’m gaining momentum. Next on the list is the hallway. What does every room in the house have that the hallway doesn't? Shoe molding. Do you know how many times I’ve heard the words shoe molding over the last couple of years? Exactly...
Well, the shoe molding is down. I feel good about the day. All of it--most of it. I’m done. Hang on…
 
Okay, I’m back, and the following is totally true. While I was writing this blog, I looked over at an old faded wooden chair that I’d brought in from the sun room so that I could paint the floor. I can't put that in there, I thought, it could ruin the presentation. So I hopped up, grabbed the chair, hauled it out back, sanded it down, and then slapped on a coat of polyurethane. Seriously, that just happened. I'm losing my mind....
 
Ta Da...

  
Tomorrow I’ll tackle the debris of tools and sawdust and paint and cereal boxes and beer cans, but for now, I've gotta make dinner. Tonight it will be grilled cheese, if only I can find the iron....

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment